Ethics of human space travel (2)

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 16:10:22 EST

    Greetings Gentle beings.

    To summarise the discussion so far, there seems to be a broad consensus
    in our discussions. It is that there is no reason to see that God's for
    humanity, which include authority, responsibility, and accountability in
    creation, should not be considered as extending beyond the earth.

    We have had some discussion on the theological position of ET. Let me
    ask another question. Assuming they are God conscious beings, where to
    they stand in relation to creation's blessings? I see several
    possibilities:

    1) They may be under humanity's authority. Given humanity's record this
    may be a truly frightening thought. Even if we recognise that Biblical
    authority means servanthood and accountability, our ability to actually
    live in this way is not well attested. Lewis would have been horrified
    by this possibility.

    2) They are accountable for their own biosphere and however far beyond
    it they have extended. Cosmic spheres of interest, as it were.

    3) Both these assumes that we will meet aliens more or less as moral and
    spiritual equals. There is another possibility. They may be accountable
    for us. Humanity may be so far down the cosmic chain of being (for want
    of a better expression), that it is they, not us, who are accountable to
    God for stewardship of the cosmos. Humanity simply may not be blessed
    in this area.

    Thoughts?

    respectfully

    Jonathan