Re: Adam never met Eve

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 17:32:33 EST

    glenn morton wrote:

> [...]

            Glenn, you often present quite penetrating insights into the arguments
    and fallacies of others. It's unfortunate that you don't seem to be able to see
    that your argument here, which reproduces what you have often said on this list,
    depends in a critical way on illegitimate use of words like "everything" and
    "only", as in "If everything in the OT was wrong" or "only a book of morality
    tales." Neither Howard nor I nor anybody on the ASA list that I can recall has
    ever expressed such views of Scripture. You are belaboring a caricature.

            A second, & distinct, point: You seem unwilling to differentiate
    between morality and theology. The morality taught by many other religions does
    indeed have a great deal in common with that of the Judaeo-Christian tradition.
    The same cannot be said for understandings of God and God's relationship with
    humanity and the world. The belief that God is revealed in the historical
    reality (N.B.) of the crucifixion of Jesus as the Trinity is not even
    approximated by other religions.

    Shalom,

    George