Hominid speech

From: glenn morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 16:08:39 EST

    The San Jose Mercury News has an article on speech in the ancient hominids
    and how speech was evolved. While I don't agree with much in the article, I
    think that Christians need to pay attention to what is being said here. Even
    if one accepts what the article is saying (which is a very conservative
    view), it has tremendous theological implications for who and what H.
    erectus and Neanderthal were. Basically, the article says that every hominid
    from H. erectus on, had some form of speech. If so, the question becomes,
    how much speech is required before they are human?

    today we have people who have speech impediments, or who are mentally
    retarded and can't speak very well, but we consider them to be human and
    made in the image of God. But when it comes to the hominids, we seem to
    chicken out and claim that unless the hominids were absolutely identical to
    us (those of us who are no handicapped), they can't be spiritual beings.
    The facts are as follows.

    1. H. rudolfensis had the imprints of Broca's area on the inside of their
    skulls. Broca's area is part of the speech circuitry of modern brains. Falk
    writes:

    "The oldest evidence for Broca's area to date is from KNM-ER 1470, a H.
    habilis specimen from Kenya, dated at approximately two million years ago.
    From that date forward, brain size 'took off,' i.e., increased
    autocatalytically so that it nearly doubled in the genus Homo, reaching its
    maximum in Neanderthals. If hominids weren't using and refining language I
    would like to know what they were doing with their autocatalytically
    increasing brains (getting ready to draw pictures somehow doesn't seem like
    enough)." ~ Dean Falk, Comments, Current Anthropology, 30:2, April, 1989, p.
    141-142.

    2. By 300,000 years ago, the enervation for speech as we know it was clearly
    evident in the skeletons of archaic Homo sapiens:

            “Earlier this year, anthropologists at Duke University
    reinforced that notion with a comparative analysis of the
    hole that carries motor nerves to the tongue, called the
    hypoglossal canal, in several hominid skulls. Chimp-sized in
    the 2-million-year-old australopithecines, the canal is
    significantly larger, falling in the modern human range, in
    both Neandertals and an earlier 300,000-year-old skull.
    This suggests that ‘the vocal capabilities of Neandertals
    were the same as those of humans today,’ Richard Kay and
    colleagues wrote in the 28 April Proceedings of the National
    Academy of Sciences.” Constance Holden, “How Much Like Us
    Were the Neandertals?” Science, 282(1998):1456
    **
    “Empathy, intuitive reasoning, and future planning are
    possible without language,’ he says. So are impressive tools
    such as the aerodynamically crafted 400,000-year-old wooden
    spears reported last year to have been found in a German
    coal mine. But ‘it’s difficult to conceive of art in the
    absence of language,’ says Tattersall. ‘Language and art
    reflect each other.’ Both involve symbols that are not just
    idiosyncratic but have ‘some kind of socially shared
    meaning,’ adds Randall White of New York University.”
    Constance Holden, “No Last Word on Language Origins,”
    Science, 282(1998):1455-1458, p. 1457
    **
    “Klein, for example, posits a ‘fortuitous mutation’ some
    50,000 years ago among modern humans in East Africa that
    ‘promoted the modern capacity’ for rapid, flexible, and
    highly structured speech—along with the range of adaptive
    behavioral potential we think of as uniquely human.”
    Constance Holden, “No Last Word on Language Origins,”
    Science, 282(1998):1455-1458, p. 1457

    And for Neanderthal:

    "Perhaps we should slow down and consider a more
    parsimonious explanation for why Neandertals seem so human-
    like in brain size and anatomy, the speech-related details
    of the hypoglossal canal, hyoid bone anatomy, burial
    behavior, hunting prowess, and invention of a true Upper
    Paleolithic industry in Europe. If it looks like a duck and
    quacks like a duck..." Milford H. Wolpoff, "Neandertals: Not
    so Fast," Science 282(1998):1991

    And even if Lieberman is correct that Neanderthals had a speech impediment
    that made it difficult for them to pronounce certain vowels, i and e, then
    their speech would have been similar to modern victims of Apert's syndrome.
    Here is what some researchers said about t that:

    "Apert and Crouzon syndromes is reflected in aberrancy of both the acoustic
    and perceptual structures of their vowels. Nevertheless, our investigations
    have shown that their vowels, and their speech in general, is fairly
    intelligible. Our research to date has provided some insight into ways in
    which the speech production system (taking into account the speech
    perceptual system) is plastic in the face of abnormalities to vocal tract
    structure." Karen L. Landahl and Herbert Jay gould, "congenital Malformation
    of the Speech Tract in Humans and Its developmental Consequences," in Robert
    J. Ruben, et al, editors, The biology of Change in Otolaryngology, (New
    York: Excerpta Medica, 1986), pp 131-149, p. 148

    Humans have had at the very least, some speech for the past 2 million years.
    It is time that apologists accept the data of modern science and deal with
    speech and humanness going back at least that far.

    The Mercury News article can be found at:

    http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/scitech/docs/language24.htm

    glenn

    see http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm