atmospheric origin of life?

From: glenn morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 13:47:42 EDT

    This should be of interest to people on this board. I ran into this today at
    lunch.

    Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol. 97, Issue 22, 11864-11868, October 24, 2000
    Atmospheric aerosols as prebiotic chemical reactors

    Christopher M. Dobson*, G. Barney Ellison , Adrian F. Tuck and Veronica
    Vaida

    Aerosol particles in the atmosphere have recently been found to contain a
    large number of chemical elements and a high content of organic material.
    The latter property is explicable by an inverted micelle model. The aerosol
    sizes with significant atmospheric lifetimes are the same as those of
    single-celled organisms, and they are predicted by the interplay of
    aerodynamic drag, surface tension, and gravity. We propose that large
    populations of such aerosols could have afforded an environment, by means of
    their ability to concentrate molecules in a wide variety of physical
    conditions, for key chemical transformations in the prebiotic world. We also
    suggest that aerosols could have been precursors to life, since it is
    generally agreed that the common ancestor of terrestrial life was a
    single-celled organism. The early steps in some of these initial
    transformations should be accessible to experimental investigation.

    glenn

    see http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm