Re: Glenn's comment on Dembski

From: John Burgeson (burgy@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 19:14:14 EDT

    MB Roberts wrote, in part:

    "JOHN, Be very careful at taking Father and Son at face value. I think I am
    right in saying that it is not strict autobiog/biog but more fictitious
    than usual. Edmund is highly inccurate in his presentation of scientists
    other than Father Philip. What he says about Richard Owen is patently
    untrue. I reckon this work has done immense damage in imprinting the
    conflict scenario for about a century and is the literature equivalent of
    Ted Davies' favouritie book Andrew White's The warfare of Science with
    Theology!!"

    My impression of it, while reading it for the first time last weekend at
    the Denver University Library, was that, at least in part, I found it very
    strange. The events of 1857, so carefully described by Edmund Gosse,
    happened when he was eight years old; he wrote about them nearly fifty
    years later. While I might concede that his memory might be a lot better
    than some folks, mine for instance, I just don't think at that
    remote-in-time distance a person would be all that accurate in what he
    remembered.

    I also got the impresion that the son was at best a pale shadow of his
    father. Even if he was a "Sir."

    Roberts also writes: "There is a very simple reason why ICR types won't
    like Omphalos. It takes the apparent appearance of history to its logical
    conclusion in that he would accept the Cambrian Explosion in 555 my but
    actually it only appeared
    the other day. All oppoistion to "Unif " geology and evolution has gone as
    has Flood geology etc. And one cannot get away from Charles Kingsley's
    charge that Gosse makes God a liar."

    I'm going to take issue with that set of observations. I'm writing a review
    on the recent republishing of OMPHALOS by the Ox Bow Press. I know that
    both arguments, "last Thursdayism" and "God is a liar" have been made
    against Gosse's thesis, even by his friend (good friend?) Kingsley shortly
    after the book appeared in 1857. My reading of OMPHALOS, however, and I
    have read it several times over the past twenty years, is that Gosse
    successfully defends against both those arguments, and that is what my
    review will say. It appears to me that Kingsley (and others) never read the
    book carefully enough to understand Gosse's arguments in this respect.

    Whatever -- it is still a fascinating book after all these years.

    best

    Burgy