RE: Meaning of "fine-tuning"

From: glenn morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 16:26:45 EDT

    > The view of Van Till always smelled to me like deism and I still feel that
    > way. The biblical statement that God sustains the creation means
    > that in a
    > sense God creates the universe every instant of time. That is to say, God
    > cannot "go away" since if He did that, then the creation would go off in a
    > puff. The universe derives its being from God and is not self-existing.
    > Moorad

    Moorad, The problem with your statement is that NO christian who believes in
    the resurrection can possibly be a deist and I know Howard believes in the
    resurrection. Is it deistic to believe that God uses the laws of gravity to
    move the planets? Or in order to avoid the deism charge do we have to have
    God invisibly push the planets with his finger (always according to Newton's
    or Einstein's precepts) so that he can be there to cause their movement? I
    would hope that God could create a universe that had some abilities to do
    things on its own as that would reflect the product of a capable creator.

    glenn

    see http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm