Re: Meaning of "fine-tuning"

From: Doug Hayworth (hayworth@uic.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 14:47:11 EDT

    Before we get too far off from my original query, let me restate it. I am
    familiar with the differences of perspective between Howard Van Till and
    Bob DeHaan, and my question was not really intended to revisit their
    discussions (as interesting and fruitful as they generally are). My
    question was aimed more at understanding the origin and use of the
    "fine-tuning" term in strictly philosophical circles versus layperson and
    perhaps evidentialist discussions of the Anthropic Principle (AP). I
    suspect that its original use in philosophy did NOT include a concept of
    post-creation "correction" or "tweaking", while its common understanding
    and use by lay-philosophers does include such "tweaking". Am I correct in
    this perception of the way the population of thinkers understand the AP
    when using the term "fine-tuning"?

    Doug