Re: Evolvability of new functions-pseudogenes

From: Marcio Pie (pie@bu.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 19:43:54 EDT

    >I know of at least one example of the revival of a pseudogene to regain
    >close to its original function. I do not remember full details (but can
    >look them up if anyone wants-I do know the reference), but basically a
    >pseudogene in artiodactyls was converted into a functional gene in the
    >bovids (cows, water buffalo, etc.). The former pseudogene is active in a
    >different part of the body than the related genes. It is thought to have
    >been revived by gene conversion, interacting with the functional version,
    >but I am not sure if this is certain.

    I would love to know that reference. But I isn't is possible that this gene
    never became a pseudogene in the first place?

    >Pseudogenes could produce evolutionary novelty if the right mutations
    >occurred to fix whatever made them non-functional. (Unless the error were
    >merely an early stop codon, this would be most likely to involve insertion
    >of functional DNA or a correction mechanism like gene
    >conversion.) However, many pseudogenes have multiple problems such as
    >early stop codons, errors in the initiation site, etc. and so would be
    >difficult to revive.

    It seems to me that the possibility of pseudogenes generating variability
    is very small. I think that a more reasonable alternative would be that
    duplicated gene are coopted to other functions without ever becoming
    pseudogenes. If this is true, the existence of pseudogenes could be just a
    byproduct of the generation of variation through gene duplication. Does
    this make sense?

    Marcio