Re: GM corn, from Frankenfish

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 17:06:25 EDT

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:59:22 -0400 "bivalve"
    <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com> writes:
    in part:

    > Actually, it may be possible to address both of these problems. The
    > key is that insecticide is not the only way for corn to look out for
    > itself. Certain passionflower vines have developed what seems to be
    > foolproof caterpillar defense. They grow tiny hooks that puncture
    > insect larvae, causing them to bleed to death. Passionflowers are
    > not at all closely related to corn, but they are a lot closer than
    > the bacteria from which the pesticidal gene was derived, so perhaps
    > the gene for the hooks could be transferred.

    First, if hooks are effectively transferred to corn, maybe you'd like to
    harvest it. Even if the hooks are not large enough to tear the flesh,
    acting like Velcro will not help matters. Second, I recall trying to grow
    a passionflower vine. I had some caterpillars that loved the leaves.
    There must be a better way.
    Dave