RE: How Irreducibly Complex Systems Evolve. Data Behe must deal with.

From: glenn morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 01:36:44 EDT

    > Glenn,
    >
    > Regarding the "Anthropic Principle", you may be interested in reading
    > an article in the November issue of "Discover" Magazine. It discusses
    > how the fundamental constants behind the universe are fine-tuned to
    > allow life to exist, and that if they change, the universe as we know
    > it and life itself would be impossible.

    I read this last week but there are better sources of this kind of
    information. The Anthropic Cosmological Principle by Barrow and Tipler and
    a 1993 seminar proceedings on the topic: F. Bertola and U. Curi, editors,
    The Anthropic Principle, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1993

    > The article explores the possibility that our universe is
    > one of a possibly infinite number of universes (a "multiverse"),
    > and ours just happens to have the right numbers--otherwise we
    > wouldn't be here. An atheist could use this kind of reasoning
    > to avoid thinking about whether or not there may really be a Creator.
    > Since we have no way to detect a parallel universe other than our own
    > (outside of the "Sliders" sci-fi show :) ), this involves a leap
    > of faith, just as it is to believe that someone intentionally
    > adjusted the numbers.

    The reason I don't think the multiverse option will work is because one is
    moving beyond science at this point. If we can observe something, it is part
    of this universe. If we can't--it isn't. By definition we can't observe
    other universes so it is a concept that will forever remain outside of
    science. THus to avoid the religious implications of the anthropic principle
    (as Rees does in that Discover article) one must escape to a natural
    religion which is outside of science. (I know Rees trys to say his view is
    'verifiable' but it really isn't.

    glenn

    see http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm