Re: TE-man

From: Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@ursa.calvin.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 19:43:23 EDT

    When we think about the human "soul," we consider a whole collection of
    human qualities. Here's a way of thinking about the issue which I have
    found useful:

    Some "soul" qualities could have been created through evolutionary
    processes: verbal ability, tool-making ability, complex inter-personal
    interactions, perhaps even self-awareness and empathy. Some other mammals
    have these to a much lesser extent. With human babies, we see the gradual
    development of these abilities over time.

    Other "soul" qualities require God's supernatural intervention: the
    establishment of a personal relationship between creature and Creator;
    moral accountability; life after death. God decided when, in human
    history, to begin such relationships and accountability.

    Loren Haarsma
    Calvin College