Reply to Bryan Cross on OMPHALOS

From: John Burgeson (burgy@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 12:37:45 EDT

    Bryan Cross wrote: "Would you say the same thing to God? If so, then you
    think God cannot show
    solipsism to be false (and therefore does not know whether He created
    anything or merely dreamed He did). If not, then you think that solipsism
    can (in some sense) be refuted. Likewise with YEC. If you believe that it
    cannot *in any sense* be refuted, and yet you refuse to believe it, then
    you don't care about truth. For what cannot *in any sense* be refuted is
    nothing other than the truth. You are free to define "refute" as
    "scientifically refute", but then claiming that something "CANNOT be
    refuted" [your caps] is clearly excessive excitement and overblown
    advertising about something trivially true to those of us aware of the
    limitations of science (i.e. all of us, I presume)."

    Whatever you say, Bryan. I continue to maintain
    that solipsm, as well as Last Tuesdayism, as well as the fact that
    little blue but invisible and undetectible elfs control the
    laws of gravity and all such positions to be fundementally
    not refutable, and yet both not useful and in most cases, perhaps
    all cases, to be nonsense. The fact that I think the elfs are
    not refutable is a philosophical statement and says nothing about whether
    or not I cars about truth.

    Sorry for misspelling your name on the last post. I hate to do that.

    Peace

    Burgy