OMPHALOS

From: John Burgeson (burgy@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 13:41:33 EDT

    Brian Cross wrote:

     "Subject: Re: Omphalos

    Burgy,

    >it presents a completely tight case for the>
    >YEC position, one that CANNOT be refuted.
    >
    >(No -- I am not a YEC myself).

    If it cannot be refuted, then why are you not a YEC?
    Either you don't care about truth, or you think it
    can (in some sense) be refuted."

    You make, I think, the classical mistake of thinking there are only
    two possible answers (to your own question).

    Yes -- I care about truth.
    No -- I think it cannot, in any sense, be refuted.

    Consider the theory that you, Brian Cross, are real enough,
    but you are the only entity in the universe and that you are
    simply having a dream in which the rest of us appear as
    characters or actors.

    This theory MIGHT be true. (It is called solipism).

    This theory CANNOT be refuted. It is far-fetched only in terms of what
    we know -- or think we know. Radio and TV were far-fetched in terms
    of what the people of 1800 knew -- or thought they knew.

    Why are you not a solipsist? Don't you care about truth?

    I'm sure you'd consider that an absurd question, as well as
    impertinent! < G >

    Best

    Burgy