Re: Halloween/Evolution Tract

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 11:55:10 EDT

    >According to the ICR, evolutionary theory has "one slight problem...recently a dinosaur bone was discovered that still contained blood cells!"

    A few problems with this:
    The argument itself is that one purported problem with evolutionary theory means that you should accept creation science. However, it is necessary to demonstrate that creation science provides a better explanation than the conventional view.

    Secondly, the existence of recent dinosaurs would only have indirect connection to evolution (by suggesting problems with the fossil record). The sloppy use of "evolution" to mean "anything in conventional science that is rejected by the creationist in question" muddles the issues.

    The possible red blood cells are reported perfectly legitimately in the original paper, a few years ago (within the decade but not last year or so, if my memory is right). I think they were in a Tyrannosaurus, probably Sue. What the brochure neglects to note is that the structures are possible fossilized remnants of red blood cells under exceptional preservation. There is no problem with such stuctures possibly surviving for millions of years, but there are a number of problems with possible artifacts of preservation and preparation, similar-looking inorganic or microbial structures, etc. The out-of-context citation makes it sound almost as if someone cut a dinosaur bone and blood spurted out.
    >Christians hold to the biblical account that God personally created the animals... that we know today."

    "Let the earth bring forth living creatures..."

    As stated here, this is vague but suggests a position in excess of the views of the ICR. They do acknowledge the evolution of species and genera, though much popular-level YEC and even some progressive creationism denies the existence of the innumerable species to species transitions.

    >This implies that young-earth creationism is necessary for
    >Christian faith and that it is impossible for Christians to accept either
    >the Big Bang, evolution, or a multi-billion-year-old earth.

    Which in turn implies that those making the claim are in serious trouble (Gal. 1:6). Adding creation to the gospel would be seriously wrong, even if the claims were true.

        Dr. David Campbell
        "Old Seashells"
        Biology Department
        Saint Mary's College of Maryland
        18952 E. Fisher Road
        St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001 USA
        dcampbell@osprey.smcm.edu, 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996
    "Mollusks murmured 'Morning!'. And salmon chanted 'Evening!'."-Frank Muir, Oh My Word!