Re: Creation Joke

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 00:20:41 EDT

    On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:01:59 -0500 "William B. Peters" <bpeters@siu.edu>
    writes:
    > Are there any joksters out there? I am giving a talk next week and
    > need an opener. Does anyone know any good creation jokes?
    > --
    > William B. Peters
    > Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
    > Southern Illinois School of Medicine
    > (618)453-6435 Lab
    > (618)536-7721 GPSC Office

    I have some items which are not jokes, but humorously strike home to me.
    For example, reading some of the recent theological material, I have to
    wryly agree with Voltaire: "If God made us in His image, we have
    certainly returned the compliment.

    Then there is the remark attributed to Alfonso X el sabio [the Wise],
    king of Castile and Leon (1221-84): "Had I been present at the creation,
    I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the
    universe." In his favor I have to note that he was being presented with
    the complications of the Ptolemaic system.

    There is also the comment on Metternich as being so conservative that,
    had he been present at the creation, he would have begged God to retain
    Chaos.

    Since all these ridicule only dead white men, they should be politically
    correct and not offend the ones looking to be offended.

    Dave