Re: asa-digest V1 #1804

From: jimrptla@juno.com
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 21:26:52 EDT

    Hello,
    My name is Jim, and I'm a 6th grade science teacher with some background
    in Biblical studies. I was just wondering about this geocentric
    argument. Could it be understood that most of the descriptions found in
    the Bible are stated in such a way because the Bible is an
    anthropocentric document. That is, God meant it to be understood from
    the perspective of a human being placed in and on this world?
    Therefore, just as one could grant geocentrism to be a fallacious theory
    of orbital mechanics, could one suggest that scientific observations from
    any other perspective are theologically beside the point?

    This is not to suggest that scientific inquiry, observation or
    theorization cannot shed light upon the glory of creation or its Creator.
     I am simply wondering if a "sitz im leben" exists for the interpretation
    of biblical accounts of natural phenomena. If so, it would seem that
    many such arguments or perspectives could be laid to rest quite simply.

    Thanks.

    ~Jim Reeverts

    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.