Re: Teaching evolution

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 18:37:26 EDT

    On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, bivalve wrote:

    > It is not too auspicious when the journalists reporting the story have problems getting the science right. Statements such as "Related to biological evolution is the concept that the universe began with a ``big bang'' and that only later were the sun and the planets formed." or the 6 billion year age for the earth (off by 1/3 as much as young earth dates) don't promote good science education.

    The ICR's influence apparently extends to many who think that they
    disagree with them. These journalists seem to think that anything to which
    the ICR is opposed must surely be part of Darwin's theory. I find it
    ironic that the Big Bang Theory, rejected by many earlier in this century
    because it seemed to imply creation, should be linked with a theory that
    has been said to make it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled
    atheist.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado