No More Oil

From: Kenneth Piers (Pier@ursa.calvin.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 09:35:24 EDT

    I am normally a lurker on this list but I want to say that I very much
    appreciate the discussion on energy resources. What is mind boggling
    about the whole situation is that we seem to have no national or even
    regional discussion about energy resource policy at all. The only
    concern we seem to hear voiced is the fact that petroleum and natural
    gas prices have risen in the past year and we need to get them back
    down. Now recently Clinton has ordered the release of 30 M barrels of
    oil from strategic reserves which were meant to be used only in an
    emergency. This seems to me to be very akin to offer the alcoholic who
    is suffering from early morning shakes another drink. While I am very
    sensitive to the plight of the poor (some of my children are among them)
    with respect to energy prices, this is completely the wrong message to
    be sending to the American people.
    One would think that in these days when a national political campaign
    is going full bore that we would hear something about long term energy
    needs and energy policy. The most distressing part about the near future
    depletion of petroleum resources is that we seem to have absolutely no
    clue or no plan about what alternative energy scenarios might look like.
    There is no doubt that competition for oil will be globally
    destabilizing and all the more so if we have no national plan for
    alternative energy regimes. When will we wake up?
    ken piers