Random origin of biological information

From: pruest@pop.dplanet.ch
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 11:09:48 EDT

    To: FMAJ1019@aol.com:

    You're just throwing a stew of precooked (or uncooked?) abstracts and
    other quoted paragraphs at me, none of which directly addresses what I
    said.

    The only reference to a scientific paper you give explicitely (for good
    measure in duplicate) is:
    >>> Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol. 97, Issue 9, 4463-4468, April 25, 2000
    Vol. 97, Issue 9, 4463-4468, April 25, 2000 Evolution of biological
    complexity
    Christoph Adami*,, Charles Ofria,§, and Travis C. Collier <<<

    Adami et al. describe a simulation of evolution using short assembler
    programs as "organisms" and measuring their "increase in complexity" by
    means of Shannon entropy. Although this system appears to be
    interesting, its relevance for biological evolution is questionable,
    since the function of such a program is very far from the function of a
    living organism - or even the presumed function of an RNA world
    replicator. Their definition of genomic complexity as the amount of
    information stored about the environment, as well as the claim that
    "complexity" necessarily increases in a fixed environment sounds dubious
    if we think of biology. Despite their definition, they haven't clarified
    what biological information is.

    You may wish to check what I answered Glenn, who at least dealt directly
    with some of what I said.

    Peter Rüst