RE: What happens when the oil runs out.

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 17:18:21 EDT

    Glenn,

    Now that you've been to Paris, you will have a first-hand comparison between
    Paris and Houston (or any other (mostly) Western North American city). You
    will have noticed that Paris was designed before the advent of the motor car
    and that, consequently, it's not exactly a driver-friendly city. Seems to
    me that the only reasonable direction we, North Americans, can take is to
    design our cities like Paris, where, within the Peripherique, one is within
    six blocks of "le Metro," an efficient people hauler if there ever was one!

    The Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight are not going to be the answer. I've
    seen an Insight "in the flesh" and it's not a "people hauler." The Prius is
    supposed to be a bit roomier. BTW, you are correct in that the Prius relies
    on oil/gasoline, but the Prius does not use a fuel cell. Its
    gasoline-powered engine produces electricity that is used to charge a
    battery and both the internal combustion engine and the battery supply power
    as needed. The beauty of these hybrid cars is that their batteries don't
    have to be recharged by plugging them into an electrical outlet. This gives
    them a range that is determined by a network of gas stations. The Honda
    Insight reportedly gets 70 mpg on the highway and 60 mpg in the city; the
    Prius supposedly 66 mpg. Anyway, even if we all traded our cars in for
    Prii, we would only reduce our fuel consumption by a factor of three, based
    on an average fuel consumption of 20 mpg.

    The answers, IMHO, is to reserve the oil and gas for transportation where
    electrical power is impractical. Electrification of the railroads in North
    America is one way to replace oil. We also have to move towards mass
    transit, and that means building compact cities like Paris. Nuclear should
    be used to generate base load electricity, with the waste heat used to heat
    buildings and greenhouses.

    There are some simple things we can do to reduce our energy consumption.
    For example, we could legislate that drivers shut their engines off when
    waiting at traffic lights. This is already the practice in countries like
    Switzerland. We can form car pools.

    You are, no doubt, correct in predicting social upheaval when the pumps
    start to run dry. My guess is that social upheaval will be more severe the
    longer we wait to address the problems. As Christians and stewards of God's
    creation, we need to set an example and show the way to go.

    Chuck Vandergraaf
    Pinawa, MB