Re: Geocentricity

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 14:57:04 EDT

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 06:05:30 -0500 "Darryl Maddox" <dpmaddox@arn.net>
    writes:
    > Good morning group,
    >
    > I have to say I am very pleased to find this topic being discussed
    > but am
    > equally or perhaps more surprised than I am pleased. I am surprised
    > because
    > I didn't know there were any people left who seriously believed
    > this
    snip
    I understand that the Flat Earth Society, a few years back, had about
    7000 members. They claimed that the photos from early spacecraft showed
    curvature because of barrel distortion by wide-angle lenses. Then they
    said that the orbits were a grand hoax, with pix from a secret
    establishment. There is such a thing as invincible ignorance.

    > 1)Can we establish criteria by which we can determine which parts of
    > the
    > Bible are literally true, exactly as stated in a particular
    > translation?

    snip
    I think the answer has to be "no." The first problem is that language is
    ambiguous from within, a problem not solved by translation. I recall an
    Italian student I had telling me that the German philosophy students
    studying at Italian universities waited till Italian translations of
    German works were available. When asked why, since German was their
    mother tongue, they replied that the translations were clearer, for the
    translator had essentially disambiguated them. But I have to wonder
    whether the translator got it right. The author may have intended
    something paradoxical.
            Second, our understanding changes and may be in error (exempting
    my view ;-), of course). So what fits now is not what fit previously, and
    we have no absolute warrant that current views may not be modified.
    Paul's "we know in part" applies to more than the eschatological. We
    simply do our best with the information available to us.

    Dave