Re: Geocentricity

From: Dale K. Stalnaker (dks@en.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 00:32:02 EDT

    Bill,

    The rebuttals that you mention here as well as other scientific arguments
    posted on the ASA list should be enough to persuade most educated people
    that Galileo had the right idea. Since these folks are convinced that
    science is anti-God, they willingly reject science and will probably ignore
    any evidence you have for them.

    When I was a student at Cleveland State University (around 1977), I was
    shocked to learn that there was a member of the CSU faculty who believed in
    geocentricity! He was the advisor for a fundamentalist Christian student
    fellowship group that met at the campus.
    He based this belief on Psalm 104:5, which says (in the KJV) "Who has laid
    the foundation of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever". In
    the NIV, the same verse is "He set the earth on its foundations, it can
    never be moved." Here is a simple rebuttle that does not involve much
    science. Even an ancient person who believes the earth to be flat, could
    not interpret this verse literally, because this would rule out earthquakes!

    Dale Stalnaker