Re: Rationale for scientific methodology

From: Guy Blanchet (guyblanchet@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 05:47:59 EDT

    Mr. Miller,

    The goal of science should be to say everything it can about natural
    processes. And what it can say may fall into two categories: a pure physical
    description of a process, and, the reality behind the process (its deep
    meaning). The first talks about Nature, the second attemps to say what Nature
    is.

    In developping a theory, one usually establishes a model, a general concept,
    which is then translated into mathematical relationships. Limiting the model
    to be observable, i.e. non-supernatural, is a serious and needless
    restriction. No one, worthy of being called a scientist, should be
    disturbed by a model invoquing the supernatural as long as it leads to useful
    predictions. Those who insist that this is not acceptable practice,
    especially when the supernatural is the Biblical God, are promoting a
    non-scientific personal agenda.

    I have a copy of a paper entitled "THE CORRECT APPROACH TO SCIENTIFIC
    THEORIES", Apostolos Ch. Frangos, Volume 28, June 1991, CREATION RESEARCH
    SOCIETY QUARTERLY. This paper looks at the problem of intermixing
    philosophical and metaphysical doctrines with empirical science. It poses
    the problem of correctly identifying the difference between what is
    scientific and what is not. The author holds that If the ensuing theory or
    model is subject to a scientific test, then it is scientific.

    Of course, the above becomes very academic unless it may be demonstrated that
    a model invoquing the supernatural may be successfully constructed. This is
    a subject that has got me going for the past 13 years. If you are interested
    in knowing more, I'll be pleased to pass on what I've found out. (Note: In
    my case, by supernatural, I mean the Biblical variety.)

    Regards,

    Guy Blanchet