Re: The mind/brain and revelation

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 17:46:16 EDT

    I don't have a copy of Bruce to check his view. But my references
    indicate that akouo may mean, among several nuances, either simply to
    hear or to understand. If in Acts 9 it means the former and in Acts 22
    the latter, there is no problem. For the benefit of those who insist that
    there be only one translation for each scriptural word, consider the
    person who hears something late at night: "I hear somebody talking
    outside, but I don't know what he's saying." Alternatively, the response
    to a description or explanation of a situation: "I hear you." This latter
    goes beyond understanding to agreement, something else sometimes
    indicated by the Greek verb.

    There is another difference in the two passages. The first says they did
    not see the speaker; the second, they saw the light. Looks to me as
    though there were physical phenomena that produced effects via the
    sensory organs.
    Dave