Re: Brimstone Insurance Co. calling

From: George Andrews Jr. (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 00:45:48 EDT

    george murphy wrote:

    > ... But we are not entitled to say that God has no way of
    > making the benefits of Christ available to those who have not heard the
    > gospel or who for one reason or another have not been able to give it
    > serious consideration. _How_ they might be saved through Christ can
    > only be speculation on our part, & such speculation should not be
    > indulged in with the goal of excusing ourselves from making explicit
    > witness to Jesus.
    > "Exclusive texts" like John 14:6 and Acts 4:12 are important &
    > shouldn't be watered down. But the same is true for "inclusive" texts
    > like John 12:32, Ephesians 1:10, and Colossians 1:20.
    >
    > Shalom,
    >
    > George

    I think the notion of "Old Testament saints" is applicable to this thread.
    If one accepts such a notion, then these people are saved by a future
    Christ of whom they had no personal knowledge. Claims that adherence to the
    Mosaic law acted as a "credit account" are helpful pedagogically, but not
    biblically substantiated.

    I also think the notion of Christ being slain before the foundations of the
    world is relevant in that it removes Christ from all time references and
    sinner's-prayer salvation schemes.

    Sincerely;
    George A.