(Fwd) Casti's new book (was Re: Reply to Carol Regehr)

From: Lawrence Johnston (johnston@uidaho.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 10:11:30 EDT

    Bob - Do you have the reference to this wonderful quote you gave us? I seem to
    remember seeing it in a now-defunct journal, under the title "God and the
    Astronomers". Thanks x 10^6 Larry Johnston

    RDehaan wrote: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 05:42:23 EDT
    I am reminded of the comment about the implications of the Big Bang made by
    Robert Jastrow, founder of NASA’s Goddard Institute, and director of Mount
    Wilson observatory. He wrote, "For the scientist who has lived by his faith
    in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the
    mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls
    himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have
    been sitting there for centuries."

    "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set
     eternity in the hearts of men" - - Ecclesiastes 3:11, NIV trans

    Lawrence H. Johnston 917 E. 8th st.
    professor of physics, emeritus Moscow, Id 83843
    University of Idaho (208) 882-2765
    http://www.uidaho.edu/~johnston/ =====================