Re: Brimstone Insurance Co. calling

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 22:41:51 EDT

    On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:30:10 EDT Dawsonzhu@aol.com writes:

    > Dave Siemens wrote:
    > <<
    > I know that there are a number of folk who have adopted universalism
    > or
    > annihilationism because they do not like the notion of hell.

    Wayne responded in small part:>
    > I certainly would not advocate some universal religion.
    > Indeed, it would be vast stretch to say for example that
    > Buddhism and Christianity are the same (or similar).

    I fear you have misunderstood the technical terms in eschatology.
    "Universalism" is the doctrine that in the end all will be saved. I
    recall hearing of one person who expected to have conversations with
    Satan in heaven. At most the believers have some kind of priority. It is
    found among some liberal offshoots of Christianity. I don't know if they
    maintain the name, but at one time there was a Unitarian-Universalist
    Church. My recollection is that it was an amalgamation of two groups with
    the separate names. "Annihilationism" is the doctrine that, in the end,
    the ungodly will cease to exist. This has sometimes been coupled to the
    notion that the believers (or perhaps all good people) are in, and all
    the rest will be given a second chance. Only those who reject this second
    and last opportunity are annihilated.

    The notion that all religions are on the same search is quite different.

    Dave