Re: faith

From: RDehaan237@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 06:39:53 EDT

    In a message dated 8/31/2000 12:47:44 PM, bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com
    writes:

    << An honest admission that you do not know all the answers is a good
    witness. It demonstrates that you are on a similar level to the other
    person, trying to figure things out rather than omniscient. Trying to make
    authoritative explanations when you do not really have answers is both
    dishonest in itself and gives you a high probability of guessing wrong.
    Instead, try to find out an answer or suggest places they might try to find
    an answer. (This might also weed out people who are just asking questions to
    cause trouble versus someone willing to wait or work for an answer.)

    Confidence is based on our relationship with Christ; thus, the basic answer
    is "I am not sure how it works, but I know that He is good and in control, so
    I can be confident in that." Not the easiest to explain to someone wanting
    physical proof, but something you can trust in.

    Thanks, Dave. Good advice for all of us, especially me.

    Best wishes on your new position at Saint Mary's College of Maryland. Having
    taught in a small, liberal arts, religiously based college myself (Hope
    College, Holland, Mich.) I will be interested in learning about your
    experiences where you are.

    Regards,

    Bob