Re: common ancestry

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 17:09:39 EDT

    Greetings Paul,

    It would be good to sit down and chat with you sometime. Make sure you
    call me up the next time you pass through Colorado.

    I've asked this question before but you've never answered it to my
    satisfaction.

    Let admit the possibility of polyphyly and focus our attention on
    branches/bushes a little higher up. Now does the genetic evidence and the
    known mechanisms of modern, metazoan lateral transfer suggest that all
    insects are descended from a common ancestor (or ancestral population)?
    How about all arthropods?

    How about all marsupials?

    I can see why the "new" evidence is confusing with respect to the very
    ancient lineages and this is very, very interesting. But is it really so
    confusing with respect to metazoan sequences? I don't get that picture at
    all in reading the literature, if anything the genomic arguments for are
    sewing up rather nicely the arguments for common ancestry. The paper in
    Science about a year ago on large scale chromosomal mapping giving
    tremendous insight into the relationship between various mammalian orders
    is a prime example.

    I just think that you are mixing apples and oranges when you bring in all
    the lateral gene transfer stuff from bacterial genomics into these
    discussions of common ancestry of animal phyla and/or classes. Doolittle
    and company may find the task of reconstructing lineage well-nigh
    impossible by these new findings, but I serious doubt if any of them are
    ready to suggest that evolution (change through time via "ordinary"
    biological mechanisms") hasn't occurred.

    Does your critic of this methodology undermine DNA fingerprinting as a
    forensic method? How about in studying human or livestock pedigrees? Why
    not?

    TG

    Fort Collins, Colorado 80523
    grayt@lamar.colostate.edu http://www.chm.colostate.edu/~grayt/