Re: natural selection in salvation history (was Johnson//evolutionimplies atheism)

From: RDehaan237@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 07:48:51 EDT

    In a message dated 7/23/2000 6:51:13 PM, dfsiemensjr@juno.com writes:

    << As a strict theist, I am committed to the notion that the universe is
    designed intelligently. When I recognize God as omnipotent and
    omniscient, I assert that he does not have to either tinker with creation
    to get it to come out right or to tip his hand so that we must
    acknowledge his activity. >>

    Dave,

    I deplore your use of such pejorative comments as "tinker with" and "make it
    come out right" or "tip his hand". Such usage is more inflammatory than
    enlightening. All these comments amount to, as I see it, is your judgment
    based on your interpretation of God's omnipotence and omniscience, that "God
    wouldn't do it that way".

    I agree with your assertion that God does NOT HAVE TO DO what he does in
    nature. What have I or other IDers ever said that makes you impute such a
    view to me or others? You are setting up a strawman that does not exist in
    reality.

    Let me suggest that there are numerous other models or analogies of how God
    might freely interact with his creation, assuming as I do that God does so..
    You are undoubtedly aware of them. God might act as a gardener with creation
    as his garden that develops on its own but also is dependent on timely
    watering, harvesting, planting, etc., as I have suggested elsewhere. Or
    there is the analogy of God as an author or playwright, with himself as one
    of the actors. Creation can be seen as an arena in which God acts, sometimes
    directly and sometimes indirectly.

    The Bible is rich in poetic statements describing God's interaction with
    nature, as in Ps. 18, Ps. 65, Job 38. These form the basis of my belief that
    God is directly as well as indirectly involved with his creation.

    Don't you think God is "tipping his hand so that we must acknowledge his
    activity" when Rom. 1:19-20 says, "For what can be known of God is plain to
    them (humans), because God has shown it to them. Ever since the creation of
    the world his invisible nature, namely his eternal power and deity, has been
    clearly perceived in the things that have been made"?

    Since you say, "I am committed to the notion that the universe is designed
    intelligently," I do not understand why you object if I and other IDers, who
    share this general commitment, try to infer intelligent design in particular
    situations, such as, complex biochemical systems and complex integrated organ
    systems.

    <<Were the latter the case, as Bill Williams remarked the last time I saw
    him, we "would have God in a test tube." Any attempt to prove the existence
    of God is futile. Augustine had it right in his _credo ut intellegam_, which
    echoes the thought of Hebrews 11:6. >>

    Who is trying to prove the existence of God? I'm not. I assume it, and
    from that assumption I try to infer how he did it. My goal is to understand
    the biosphere as a whole, using scientific approaches to the limit, including
    phyletic and individual developmental and evolutionary approaches when they
    reasonably account for the phenomena, and keeping an open mind to the
    inference of intelligent design, and when it justified, including it in my
    total understanding. What is your objection to that?

    Peace,

    Bob