Re: natural selection in salvation history (w/o line breaks)

From: Bryan R. Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 02:28:52 EDT

    I apologize for all the line breaks in previous post. Here is a better
    version (hopefully).

    - Bryan

    SteamDoc@aol.com wrote:

    > In a message dated 7/18/00 12:50:20 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
    > crossbr@SLU.EDU writes:
    >
    > > Mechanism, mechanism, mechanism. That is the issue. Most Christians
    do not
    > > deny that humans were formed by
    > > the dust of the earth; the debate involves the mechanism: by what
    means
    > did
    > > fashion humans from dust? (By
    > > macroevolution or directly? With direct divine action or without
    it? etc.
    > > and every position in between.)
    >
    > Since Bryan is quoting John Wiester's "mechanism, mechanism,
    mechanism", we
    > should probably stop and be sure he is not assigning Wiester's (and
    Dawkins'
    > and I would claim Johnson's) God-excluding meaning to certain
    mechanisms.

    Actually, I wasn't quoting Wiester (I'm not even sure who he is,
    although the name is familiar); if Wiester said the same thing, then my
    use of the same phrase was just a coincidence, or else the expression of
    something previously read and long-hidden in my subconscious. So, to
    answer your question, I was not saying or implying whatever Wiester
    meant by the expression. I said that the mechanism is the issue,
    meaning, *the issue in question*. I was responding to George's claim
    that (paraphrase) certain passages in Genesis 1 imply the truth of
    macroevolution. My response was that the passages in Genesis 1 do not
    tell us the mechanism; they tell us *that* God made the various life
    forms, and they imply that there is some kind of [unspecified] role
    played by second causes. From an exegetical perspective it is certainly
    possible that these verses give us a phenomenological/descriptive
    account, not a [efficient] causal account, with respect to the role of
    the earth, the water, etc. In other words, careful exegesis of these
    passages does not tell us whether the formation of life occurred solely
    by second causes or not solely by second causes. If certain church
    fathers thought these passages did contain this information, then I must
    respectfully disagree with them. By the expression "by what mechanism?"
    I mean only "by what means?" Since Scripture does not answer that
    question, the question, if it can be answered at all, must be answered
    by science.
        In my view, the large-scale debate over these issues often confuses
    the theological questions and the scientific questions. "Did God create
    life" is clearly a theological question, and special revelation provides
    a clear answer. On the other hand, "by what means did God create life?"
    is a theological question that (as I've argued above) is largely
    unanswered by special revelation. Therefore, it becomes the task of the
    believing scientist to try to piece together how God did it. If
    scientists find that natural causes are capable of completely explaining
    the molecule-to-man process and that the evidence points to
    that scenario, then that is a good reason to believe that God did it
    that way. If scientists find that natural causes are not capable of
    completely explaining the molecule-to-man process then there is good
    reason to believe that some direct divine action was involved. The
    bottom line is that special revelation does not solve the mechanism
    question; that question must be answered by science, (if it can be
    answered at all.)

    > I think that in our recent discussions Bryan has agreed that
    "mechanism" is
    > not *the issue* in the sense that the viability of Christianity does
    not
    > depend on the truth or falsity of a particular mechanism. And that if
    one
    > affirms the Biblical doctrine of Providence and God's sovereignty over

    > nature, "natural" mechanisms for God's creative work should be no
    danger to
    > Biblical faith. [I would add that those who incorrectly see natural
    > mechanisms as eliminating God have an unbiblical "God-of-the-Gaps"
    theology.]

    Agreed.

    > Having established that mechanism is not a *vital* theological issue,
    is it
    > an issue at all?

    I think it is, in part because theology isn't everything. In my view,
    there are many genuine non-theological issues. I think that the question
    of the means God used to create all living organism is a very important
    and interesting issue, even though it cannot be answered by special
    revelation, and has no major theological implications.

    > I think that is where what George has been saying comes in.

    My understanding of what George was saying was not just that special
    revelation is *compatible* with the truth macroevolution, but that
    special revelation *implies* or *supports* the truth of macroevolution.
    That was the matter over which he and I disagreed.

    > As we discover the mechanisms by which God did things, we can perhaps
    get a
    > glimpse of the character of God. That character will not always fit
    our
    > human presuppositions, and if insights from nature challenge us to
    reexamine
    > some of those presuppositions, it can be an opportunity for growth.
    If our
    > presuppositions about how we think God had to create (for example,
    thinking
    > that he must leave "fingerprints all over the evidence", or for that
    matter
    > thinking that God must never act "directly") keep us from that growth
    > opportunity, it is our loss, and the church's.

    I wholeheartedly agree. This position allows our scientific discoveries
    to inform our theology, and our theology to help interpret our
    scientific discoveries.

    best,

    - Bryan