RE: End of Cheap Oil

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 19:51:03 EDT

            Doug Hayworth writes, "...I think that there will be a shift in the
    future away from highly centralized production and delivery of energy in the
    form of only a few media (e.g., oil, coal, etc.) towards a decentralized
    production of energy via an eclectic locally available sources. For
    example, wind works very well in some places for production of electricity,
    while solar works very well in other places. In some local places, wood is
    even a reasonable option for fuel (i.e., it can be sustainable harvested,
    and produces less waste than trucking other fuels from far away)."

            This may well be true in some cases. For example, les
    Iles-de-la-Madeleine in the Gulf of St. Lawrence are rather isolated and
    wind power is being considered there. However, these sources of energy will
    only supply relatively small amounts of energy. I'm sure that solar power
    works fine in places like Arizona and Nevada. As to decentralized
    electricity production, it must be kept in mind that all these small
    generating stations will have to be equipped with anti-pollution equipment,
    which must be maintained. These stations will have to be inspected, a
    labour intensive activity. So, it won't be cheap. In our small town, a
    number of people have (supplemental) wood-fired furnaces (there are lots of
    trees around here). However, in the winter, air quality is not improved by
    these "sustainable energy" devices.

            Doug then continues, "Solar is a great example as a resource that
    can provide significant
    > supplemental energy and will likely be produced on a very localized level.
    > In most of the temperate U.S., a well designed home with south-facing
    > glass will provide significant heating in winter while avoiding undue heat
    > gain in the summer. Individual homes can be outfitted
    > with solar panels to produce electricity or heat water."

            Again, I don't have any problem with that, but it's one thing to
    design a house to take advantage of the sun. It's another thing to design
    an apartment block to take advantage of the sun. Some units will have to
    face North, unless you can design them with the hallways on the North side.

            Doug ends with "The technology exists for these things, and I think
    that in combination, they can make a significant contribution. We just need
    to shift our thinking a little; a single energy resource does not have to
    provide all we need in order to be useful. Likewise, for the millions of
    Americans that pedal a stationary bicycle or walk a treadmill for hours each
    day, there could be ways of tapping this for energy production. I wish that
    were rewards for manufacturers of appliances and electronics to make them
    energy efficient."

            I thought that manufacturers of appliances already had to list the
    efficiency of their products. The rewards have to be supplied by the
    consumer. A foolproof way to make people conserve is to raise the price of
    energy. Unfortunately, this affects the poor more than the rich. I agree
    that not one single energy source will do the trick.

            Chuck Vandergraaf
            Pinawa, MB