RE: End of Cheap oil (fwd)....Fusion

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 11:28:06 EDT

    Joel,

            I am pretty fuzzy here. I worked with fission reactors and I spend
            more time on statistical physics than on nuclear engineering. Its my
            recollection that 1) the cross sections for D-D reactions
    (deuterium,
            deuterium) make a D-D reaction much less feasible than a D-T
    reactor;
            and that 2) Tritium will be produced in a D-D reactor so you can not
            escape the high energy neutrons. I don't recall the reactions.

            Tritium would definitely be a problem. I don't recall the amount of
            tritium compared to current light water reactors (or Canadian heavy
            water reactors) so I can't put it in context. Chuck may have
    better
            information.

            I'm not a nuclear physicist and can't comment on D-D vs D-T
    reactions. In natural uranium fuelled, heavy water (CANDU) reactors, D2O is
    used as the moderator because of the small neutron capture cross section of
    D compared to that of H. Yet, there are enough deuterium targets to produce
    lots of tritium by (n, gamma) reactions on deuterium. There are techniques
    to strip the tritium out of the heavy water. As for the high energy
    neutrons produced in a nuclear reactor, these are, of course, moderated to
    thermal energies. They do result in neutron activation of reactor
    components but the activity generated in these reactor components is not as
    high as that of the fission products in the fuel as it is discharged from
    the reactor. Some of the isotopes generated by neutron activation have
    relatively short half lives (e.g., Co-60, 5.3 years) but there are some
    longe-lived isotopes such as Zr-93 (1.5E6 a). However, Zr is not very
    soluble in groundwater, to put it mildly.

            Hope this helps.

            Chuck Vandergraaf