RE: End of Cheap oil

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 18:15:04 EDT

    Wendee writes, in part, "But I am flying to OR soon to visit my family. And
    I hate flying, terrifies me. Lack of control, I know."

    Far be it from me to comment on phobias; I have enough of my own to deal
    with. However, it is worth pointing out that we have precious little
    control over what happens to us because, in the end, it is God who is in
    control. This does, of course, not mean that we should "tempt God" and take
    unnecessary risks. However, society has decreed that it is OK to allow
    people to travel through the air in aluminum tubes at speeds of 800 kph,
    that it is OK for transportation companies to truck vast volumes of highly
    flammable organic compounds, including gasoline and propane, or chemically
    toxic materials, incuding chlorine and anhydrous ammonia, through urban
    areas. Each and every one of is authorized to carry ~100 L of flammable
    organic compounds in the form of gasoline in a flimsy steel containers at
    speeds of 100 kph. Environmentalists generally accept these situations but
    try to ship 10 grams of plutonium, mixed with uranium oxide, for a research
    project to see if we can destroy plutonium, initially generated for use in
    Russian and US warheads, by "burning" (irradiating) it in a nuclear reactor!
    There will be and were demonstrations in the streets! Many fears are
    irrational and are based on an incorrect understanding of the risks
    associated with an event or process.

    I have very little control over who transports what along the roads I travel
    on. However, when the time comes for me to be "translated into glory," I'm
    convinced God will find a way to do so, be that by allowing some arteries to
    be blocked, sending a ball of flaming gasoline or propane in my direction,
    or allowing physical forces to cause a critical part in an Air Canada plane
    to fail.

    Chuck Vandergraaf
    Pinawa, MB