RE: End of Cheap oil

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 12:20:24 EDT

    Glenn wrote:

            "In cities just 200 years ago, people died from drinking well water
    because it was so polluted with human waste. Yum Yum! What a way for
    humanity to live again."
    I have read somewhere that, at the turn of the last century (~1899/1900),
    funeral homes often had white hearses and black hearses. The infant
    mortality was high enough to warrant white hearses.

    As for the need for AC in places like Houston, I don't deny for a moment
    that AC is necessary and I don't begrudge anyone from using AC. Having lived
    in places like Michigan and Pennsylvania, I know first hand that life in the
    summer without AC can be miserable. I wanted to make two points: 1) cheap
    oil has allowed society to establish large and sprawling population centers
    in areas that are unpleasant without AC, and 2) if "the North" (in economic
    terms) feels the need for oil-powered conveniences, "the South"
    (underdeveloped in economic terms) has just as much right to those
    conveniences. I'll do my bit to promote the use of nuclear power so that
    society can reserve the oil for transportation and synthesis of organic
    compounds and we can all live in reasonable comfort, including the people in
    the developing nations.

    Chuck Vandergraaf
    Pinawa, MB