RE: AIDS in Africa - A Cause For ASA?

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 22:02:20 EDT

    Dick,

    I guess that, by now, all of us have seen the statistics in the newspapers
    and on TV on HIV/AIDS in Africa and heard about it on the radio. The
    numbers are staggering and it appears that an entire generation may
    disappear in countries like Zimbabwe where teachers are dying faster than
    they can be replaced.

    I would caution against the ASA to get involved in it as an organization
    (maybe I should not talk, as I'm only "lurking" and have never got around to
    joining). ASA has, IMHO, a mandate to discuss the relationship between
    faith and science. This is not to say that individuals associated with the
    ASA should refrain from taking individual action to battle the causes of
    HIV/AIDS.

    Before we embark on a mission such as you propose, maybe it would be a good
    idea to hold up a mirror and look at the North American scene. In, what
    appears to be "(inter)national HIV/AIDS awareness week," we've been told
    that, in Canada, the incidence of HIV/AIDS is increasing again. There was a
    dip in the number of cases per so many hundred but, we are told, the "older
    gays are getting tired of unprotected sex after all these years" and are now
    infecting a younger generation. Another reason for the increase in Canada is
    the availability of drugs that tend to mask the effects of AIDS and makes
    some people feel invulnerable to the disease. This in a society that has
    access to all conceivable information! I would be surprised if the
    situation in the US is much different.

    Maybe the situation is different in Africa, but I have my doubts. The
    abject poverty in that part of the world, leading to separation of families,
    and the temptation to trade one's health for "easy money need to be
    addressed at the same time as the approaches you suggest.

    I discussed the HIV/AIDS epidemic with an agnostic/atheistic co-worker, a
    biologist, the other day. I suggested that HIV/AIDS could be a
    self-limiting disease that could, in principle, be made to disappear if
    society followed practiced monogamy, as dictated by the ten commandments.
    His (not unexpected) comment, "but that only applies to Christians and who
    are you to impose your views on other societies. In some societies, it is
    expected that men try out prospective spouses to find a suitable one." If
    we get that sort of response from people with PhDs, what can we expect from
    others?

    I understand that detection of HIV is not as simple as you make it sound and
    that HIV can "lurk" in one's body before it generates whatever the tests
    pick up.

    I don't have a solution. To me, this is just one of these diseases that
    cannot be conquered. True, places like Uganda have made great strides, but
    there comes a point when the outbreak is so massive that publicly acceptable
    treatment is no longer an option. I'm afraid that places like Zimbabwe have
    reached that stage or are awfully close.

    I hope I'm wrong and hope that there are experts in the ASA that can set me
    straight.

    Chuck Vandergraaf
    Pinawa, MB