RE: DPS Velocity - "do it yourselfers"

From: David Chmura (david@detournyc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 19:56:27 EDT

    I agree with Bob-- "do it yourself" is a lot of work. I started my little
    business by building a high performance (300k/frame, realtime fx) NT-based
    system. I had no NT experience at the time, but a lot of experience with
    computers and engineering in general. I did work out well in the end, but
    it was a LOT of work and, to tell you the truth, pretty hairy at times. (At
    the time, the only comparable systems on the Mac were turnkey and out of my
    price range.) I now have a pretty good idea how to do it, but I wouldn't be
    in a hurry to do it again-- it was really wonderful when I got my Xpress
    system and the dealer came and set it up and it worked perfectly from the
    first second I turned it on.

    If I was starting out now, I'd take a look at Xpress DV, which seems to be
    selling for less than $7000. Or, for slightly less money, I'd buy a
    preconfigured Final Cut system from ProMax. If you really, really have to
    have realtime fx, you'll have to pay more or be prepared to suffer in "do it
    yourself" hell. You will learn more than you ever wanted to know about
    IRQs. Or you might want to wait for that Matrox board to come out for FCP
    on the Mac (is it out yet?).