Re: Involvement in evolution

From: Bryan R. Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 18:13:04 EDT

    David Campbell wrote:

    > >What does "involved" mean? Caused? If so, in what way did God cause each
    > >mutation? Did He cause entities to behave within the limits of their
    > >natural properties and thus strictly follow the physical and stochastic
    > >laws or not?
    >
    > From a Calvinist viewpoint, it seems reasonable to suppose that the exact
    > events were determined by the initial design of the universe, similar to
    > the moon verse example.

    That does not seem reasonable at all. Every mutation was determined by, and
    falls out of, the initial conditions of the universe?
    Calvinism does not imply or entail such a claim, for with respect to
    determinism Calvinism entails only that the course of future events be known
    and ordained in the mind of God. Nor does it seem even remotely plausible that
    mutation events are determined by the initial settings of the universe. Is
    there any evidence at all that initial settings of the universe provide
    anything but *necessary* (as opposed to sufficient) conditions for the
    formation of life? In your view, we are to believe that if scientists were able
    to determine precisely the initial conditions of the universe, and then plugged
    those factors into a very fast supercomputer, and then simulated the 12 billion
    years or so that has elapsed since then, the exact time and place of every
    mutation would pop onto the screen. In fact, apparently this computer
    simulation would perfectly match our history until the first direct divine
    action occurred around the time of Adam or Noah or Abraham or later. This claim
    is so far-fetched that (in my view) it serves as its own reductio ad absurdum.

    > The exact means could involve undiscovered natural
    > laws or else divine fiat for the apparently random events (e.g., which
    > radioactive nucleotide will decay at what instant to cause the radiation to
    > cause a particular mutation). A more Arminian view could have certain
    > events indeterminate. The events are also sustained and concurred by God.

    Undiscovered natural laws would, I take it, fall out of the initial conditions
    of the universe, thus leading to the problem discussed above. Divine fiat is, I
    take it, a form of direct divine action. If you are willing to allow direct
    divine action into the story of the origin of mutations, well, then it isn't
    all written in the initial conditions of the universe. If you admit the
    possibility of direct divine action, then why assume that it is not detectable?

    > >If *so*, then unless one simply (and unjustifiably) assumes a continuous,
    > >uninterrupted and very steep positive selection slope (i.e. which, being
    > >continuous, requires that one assume that there is no irreducible
    > >complexity), there very well may not have been enough time between the
    > >formation of life and the appearance of such features as the trilobite eye
    > >to produce such staggering complexity.
    >
    > Without suitable criteria to detect irreducible complexity, assuming that
    > there is none is not totally unjustifiable. With our present knowledge of
    > biochemical evolution, it is very hard to rule out anything.

    That is precisely a very good reason not to rule out the possibility of gaps,
    even chasms, in the slope of Mt. Improbable. I'm not ruling out the possibility
    that there are *no* gaps. But the fact that we shouldn't rule out the
    possibility of no gaps does *not* justify the assumption of no gaps anymore
    than the fact that we shouldn't rule out the possibility of ETs justifies us in
    assuming that they exist, or building their existence into our scientific
    theories. If IC is not a helpful concept, then just set it aside. It is quite
    easy to imagine cases where a biological device of type Y has a selective
    advantage over type X, but there is a significant genetic distance between the
    respective genotypes, and all the intermediary phenotypes have either the same
    or lower fitness as type X. If the fitness of the intermediates is much lower
    than that of type X, and if the genetic distance between type X and type Y is
    significant, this is a chasm in the slope of Mt. Improbable. I would be
    extremely surprised if there were no such chasms in the evolutionary history of
    any organism. There is no reason to suppose that the fitness level of
    phenotypes tracks directly with every change at the genotypic level. If such
    chasms exist, [mutation + natural selection + finite time] seem quite
    inadequate to surmount them.

    - Bryan