Re: Misc points about Re: intelligent design

From: David Campbell (bivalve@email.unc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 16:39:25 EDT

    >That is exactly what ID is not. Take SETI for example. Do the SETI researchers
    >base their
    >belief that ID is detectable on revelation?? Obviously not. Since an atheist
    >can believe
    >that intelligent design is detectable in nature and detected in nature, (i.e.
    >an atheist can
    >be an ID proponent) ID is not dependent upon revelation. Is there a
    >theological problem with
    >the SETI researchers' belief that intelligent design is detectable in nature?
    >If not, then
    >what are your *theological* objections to the ID thesis that intelligent
    >design is
    >detectable in nature and detected in nature? It appears that you conflate ID
    >proper with the
    >use some ID proponents and Christian apologists make of it.

    I think this will not progress without a definition of what you mean by ID
    and detectable.

    I can look around my office and see man-made and natural objects. The only
    sure criterion I can find for distinguishing the two is my knowledge of
    what is natural and what is man-made. This is not a very helpful
    scientific criterion to apply to existing natural objects. To take the
    example of SETI, there was the case of LGM. The acronym stood for little
    green men. Once they were identified as rapidly spinning neutron stars,
    aka pulsars, the LGM name was abandoned. (No, I do not see any pulsars as
    I look around the office :). A seemingly improbable pattern, such as what
    SETI seeks, is only evidence of intelligent intent as long as no
    alternative explanations have been provided. I can also look at anything
    in my office and see God's wisdom in making it just right for the purpose
    at hand, whether He used natural processes or human skill to bring it
    about. However, this is detected theologically rather than scientifically.
    Thus, I can detect design theologically, or if I know full details of what
    is natural or artificial.

    However, the standard presentation of ID is identification of specific
    natural things that are supposed to be designed differently from ordinary
    natural things and criteria that supposedly differentiate the two. In this
    form, I find neither the examples nor the criteria that I have seen to be
    convincing. This form is also very dangerous with regard to a god of the
    gaps. It does not inherently imply one, but is easily compatible with
    such. The prevalence of gap views both in popular atheistic or deistic
    arguments and as an error held within the church makes it necessary to
    clearly attack them for ID of this sort to be useful apologetically, if any
    of its claims were true.

    David C.