random and undirected

From: Doug Hayworth (hayworth@uic.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 12:41:19 EDT

    Bryan reminded us that:
    >The 1995 Official Statement on Teaching Evolution stated: "The diversity of life [all life] on earth is the outcome of evolution: an unsupervised, impersonal, unpredictable and natural process of temporal descent with genetic modification that is affected by natural selection, chance, historical contingencies and changing environments." However, in the textbook Biology, by Miller and Levine, (Prentice-Hall, 1993-2000 editions), the authors write "evolution is without plan or purpose" and "evolution is random and undirected" (p. 658).

    Like Bryan, I'm fairly new to the discussion group; and I admit that I was not intimately involved in the textbook wording debates of the last couple of years; so please excuse me if what I'm about to say has been said by others.  I know that Van Till et al. made these points in _Science Held Hostage_ and Bube made them in _Putting It All Together_.  It never hurts to be reminded...

    I believe there is a context in which the above terms and statements are appropriate in textbooks and definitions of evolution.

    First, beginning biology students often have the mistaken notion that evolutionary change (e.g., adaptation - even on an uncontroversial microevolutionary scale) occurs because the organisms (actually, the populations) somehow plan where they want to go.  It is important to correct this notion.  The things that are evolving do not plan or direct where they are going evolutionarily; they have no forward-looking purpose of their own making.

    Second, there is considerable evidence that mutation is random with respect to phenotype.  For example, the observed rate of substitution among the four nucleotide states accords with that predicted by known physical constraints on their probability.  To date, all complex distributions of genetic variation that seem puzzling on the surface have later been found to be consistent with random mutation x selection, drift, etc.  At nucleotide positions that are known to have no effect on fitness, the distribution of variation within and among populations and species is random (i.e., probabilistic within known physical constraints).  There is much more that could be said in support of this point, so don't think that by cursorily dismissing this one example you will refute the point as a whole.

    Perhaps the terms "chance", "random", "undirected", "plan" and "purpose" are not ideal because they pave the way for confusion (and misguided assertions by atheists), but they are appropriate when confined to the domain of science.

    Doug