Re: atheists/ was intelligent design

From: Wendee Holtcamp (wendee@greendzn.com)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 20:15:12 EDT

    Dave wrote:
    >I wish this were true, for it would put full responsibility on each
    >individual. However, I note that there are very few things that I can
    >decide on the basis of facts that _I_ know. I have to take the
    decisions

    But, alas, in the end of time and before our Lord and Savior Jesus
    Christ - we will not be able to say "so-and-so told me it was ok!" but
    we individually will be called to account for our actions, our words,
    and our beliefs. The way I understand it, those of us who have faith
    in Jesus Christ will be forgiven even those sins we committed that we
    did not understand as such during our lifetimes. But regardless of our
    eternal sanctification, our actions, words, and beliefs on earth have
    consequences - both for our own life and for the rest of the world who
    are always affected by our actions, words, and beliefs whether it
    seems that way or not.

    When we do, say, or believe something that drives people away from
    Christ "woe to us." And this is why I say, and believe that each
    Christian should prayerfully consider each and every action, word, and
    belief with scrutiny before proceeding.

    >been misled. To look at another side of this, if you haven't urged
    >someone to believe as you do in the redemption provided in Jesus
    Christ,
    >you have not indulged in evangelism. Let's face it, on the human
    level
    >"making disciples" (Matthew 28:19) is a sales job.

    We can urge someone to believe by presenting facts and evidence. I do
    not believe in Jesus because it gives me peace, gives me eternal life,
    or makes me feel good in a world that is sometimes pretty frightening.
    I believe in Jesus Christ because the evidence I have seen - in myriad
    forms - points to the absolute Truth in the Bible, in Jesus teachings,
    and in the power of the Holy Spirit! I believe in Jesus because
    evidence points to it being true. Now a scientist might not accept the
    evidence that I may offer, but it is external evidence combined with
    the internal testimony of the Holy Spirit.

    >LCD depends on the audience--3-year-olds, high school kids,
    scientists,
    >etc.

    My understanding is that if you are writing to an educated group
    (college educated) you should write at a 8th grade level. That is
    because when you go into a bunch of jargon without explaining it, you
    will lose half your audience. And some of the people who don't yet
    know all the jargon just may be those who you wish to reach with your
    message, or who you might really wish to hear their insight. As
    Thoreau said, "Simplify, simplify, simplify!"

    Wendee
         ~~ Wendee Holtcamp -- wendee@greendzn.com ~~
     ~~ Environment/Travel/Science Writer ~~ www.greendzn.com ~~
               How many seas must a white dove sail before
                    she can sleep in the sand? -- Bob Dylan