Re: intelligent design

From: Wendee Holtcamp (wendee@greendzn.com)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 19:27:06 EDT

    Bob wrote:
    >I try to assess the
    >strengths and weaknesses of Darwinian theory, specifically, natural
    >selection, as empirically as possible. The most important question,
    IMO, is
    >this: What evidence is there that natural selection plays a creative
    or
    >innovative role on a large scale and in deep time in the history of
    life on
    >Earth? I focus on natural selection because it is the primary
    mechanism of
    >evolution, and it alone can carry the load of the theory.

    Why do you think the data doesn't support the theory? I see masses of
    evidence, and don't see a problem. I don't understand why it is even
    important for Christians to be so heavily involved and interested in
    evolutionary theory, unless for each individual it personally
    challenges their faith in God and Jesus Christ. And if it does, then I
    say one's faith is built on quite a sandy foundation!

    I am not pointing any fingers, please do not take it that way. But I
    do strongly believe all these theological discussions and arguments
    completely and absolutely sidetrack many people away from a faith in
    Jesus Christ and following his servant leader example. Examples:.
    students raised in a YEC home who go to college, take biology and see
    the masses of evidence for evolution - they turn against God because
    their parents tell them and so do certain atheist profs, that
    evolution and God are incompatible. Also, the laypeople who see all
    the petty bickering done by Christians over such issues think any
    faith that causes such animosity and absurd rejection of truth as
    revealed by science must be not worth much. It's like the Christians
    who bomb the abortion clinics. "Hypocrites, brood of vipers", I
    believe Jesus would call them.

         ~~ Wendee Holtcamp -- wendee@greendzn.com ~~
     ~~ Environment/Travel/Science Writer ~~ www.greendzn.com ~~
               How many seas must a white dove sail before
                    she can sleep in the sand? -- Bob Dylan