Re: intelligent design

From: RDehaan237@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 07:21:11 EDT

    In a message dated 7/1/2000 2:47:13 PM, SteamDoc@aol.com writes:

    <<Even if one grants this, what is the proper response?

    Is it to oppose the unjustified philosophical insertion of purposelessness
    trying to pass itself off as a result of science?>>

    Yes. But it is not just an unjustified philosophical insertion. It is also
    a justifiable inference from the empirical fact that natural selection works
    only to enhance adaptation to the immediate environment--no long range goals.

    <<Or is it to oppose the science within evolutionary theory, which may be as
    theologically neutral as atomic theory? >>

    No. I do not oppose science. I am not opposed to naturalistic explanations
    when data present a compelling case in a given instance. I try to assess the
    strengths and weaknesses of Darwinian theory, specifically, natural
    selection, as empirically as possible. The most important question, IMO, is
    this: What evidence is there that natural selection plays a creative or
    innovative role on a large scale and in deep time in the history of life on
    Earth? I focus on natural selection because it is the primary mechanism of
    evolution, and it alone can carry the load of the theory.

    Best regards,

    Bob