Re: intelligent design

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 09:37:05 EDT

    Bob Dehaan wrote:

    << In my opinion purposelessness is deeply
    embedded in evolutionary theory. I
     doubt if you would find any mainline
    evolutionists who would deny this.

    Agreed, but scientist also think that because they are
    good in one area (insert your name), therefore they are
    good in all other areas. Like any academic discipline,
    you must have command of the literature or what you say
    is little more than opinion.

    "Too few students have read Josephus, and fewer still have studied Philo,the
    Dead Sea Scrolls, or the rabbinical writings. Such neglect results in
    interpretations that are anachronistic and misleading. It is my
    recommendation that every seminary student, before graduation, should read
    the Old Testament Apocrypha, the Manual of Discipline (the Dead Sea Scrolls),
    Josephus's Jewish War, 1 Enoch, Jubilees, the Sibylline Oracles, the Odes and
    Psalms of Solomon, the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs, the Babylonian
    Talmud (at least five Mishnah tractates [including Aboth] with commentary),
    the Gospel of Thomas, and portions of the GraecoRoman literature (Plato's
    Republic, Aristotle's Ethics, Suetonius's Augustus, Tacitus's Annals, as well
    as some papyrii and inscriptions). At the very minimum, the student should
    read C.K. Barrett's "The New Testament Background: Selected Documents".
    Someone who possesses both ability and opportunity and who has not read this
    minimal amount of material is frankly unprepared for interpretation and
    insensitive to the task of New Testament exegesis." [Scot McKnight.
    Interpreting the Synoptic Gospels. Grand Rapids, Baker Book House. p29-30].

    I think _perhaps_ with the exception of perhaps George Murphy and a handfull
    of others
    on this list, it puts majority of us scientist (me included) in our place.

    As the above applied to theology, the same goes for philosophy. Scientist
    who have never read ONE philosophy book from cover to cover sometimes
    have the gall to say what they think of philosophy, and to put their own spin
    on matters related to meaning. (Dawkins is probably a good candidate in this
    class.) It's Ayn Rand on genesis.

    The point is that although the assertions of individual scientists
    may claim that "evolution is a purposeless process" & co.(TM,R,C),
    few of them really have the basis to make that claim. They are
    scholars of a narrow scientific discipline, but that does not automatically
    grant them scholarship of other disciplines they have earned no credentials
    in.

    This is exactly why a certain coinventer of the transistor got himself
    into some serious trouble when he began to dabble in anthropology and
    sociology.

    Unfortunately, what I have learned over the years is that I can never
    fully appreciate the depth of my ignorance. Wisdom is always one of
    setting out, not one of arriving.

    by Grace alone we do proceed,
    Wayne