Re: Preprogrammed?

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 12:47:16 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "John Burgeson" <burgy@compuserve.com>
    > Glenn wrote: "To say that the future is not preprogrammed by
    > God goes against much of what the scripture indicates of God's power."
    >
    > Amazing statement. That must mean you do not accept
    > the validity of the concept of free will?

    Burgy,

    You really need to go back and look at what I say about freedom and
    necessity in F^3 and what I have said here many, many times. Just a month
    ago I responded to one of your comments that freewill and determinism are
    antithetical. You must not have seen it as you didn't reply. Here is a
    rewrite of it. In order to advance the conversation you need to respond to
    my points in this regard rather than making the same statement again. Both
    freewill and God's foreknowledge are perfectly compatible as is illustrated
    by the mathematical object known as Sierpinski's Gasket, of which I have
    spoken in the past. You can read about his on my web page:

    http://home.flash.net/~mortongr/nonlin.htm

    Take 3 stationary dots ( 1,2,and 3), a moving dot (M) that moves according
    to certain rules, and a random number generator that outputs 1,2 or 3. Lay
    this out on a plane like this.

                                                            1
                                                             *

       M *

      *
    *
    2
    3

    Now, the random number generator is going to put out a number. Predict what
    number! You can't. No one can.You have a 1/3 chance of guessing the number
    correctly. The random number generator has complete free will. If you apply
    a set of rules which move dot M, you can predict what the total output
    will be.The rules are that if the random number generator gives a 1, then
    you move M 1/2 the distance to dot 1. If it rolls a 2, then move half the
    distance to dot 2 and same for a 3. Mark the new location and repeat the
    process iteratively. It begins to look like this (with the parentheses by
    the m the iteration number).

                                                            1
                                                             *

    M(0)*
                                                     M(2) *

                                                         M(1)*

      *
    *
    2
    3

     I can foreknow the pattern that moving the dot will create. There is
    absolutely NO freedom for the moving dot to do anything else other than move
    in the pattern I predict. What I don't know is what direction the dot will
    move next. Like a rat in a maze, the dot is confined to move in a certain
    pattern, but its choices are absolutely free. After 20,000 iterations it
    will produce the pattern seen at

    http://home.flash.net/~mortongr/sier.gif

    Thus the dot may feel perfectly free--indeed it is perfectly free-- but it
    is confined to a particular pattern.
    Such systems allow for free-will to be united with determinism. Our genetic
    system is just such a nonlinear system. We feel perfect free will to choose
    this or that course of action, yet we may be confined to certain patterns in
    our lives which have been fore-ordained by God.

    I would go a bit further and suggest that our genetics predetermines much in
    life. There are those anecdotal examples of twins adopted and raised apart
    who do things very similarly to their twin.

    "Raised together, twins are unusually close, sometimes developing
    their own private language. But even when they are reared apart,
    twins show amazing similarities as adults. Twins Jim Springer
    and Jim Lewis, separated at birth in 1939, were reunited 39 years
    later in a study of twins at the University of Minnesota. Both
    had married and divorced women named Linda, married second wives
    named Betty and named their oldest sons James Allan and James
    Alan. More coincidences: both drove the same model of blue
    Chevrolet, enjoyed woodworking, vacationed on the same Florida
    beach and had dogs named Toy."~Heredity: They'll be the Same, But
    Different", Newsweek, Nov. 8, 1993., p. 62

         "I quote from a recent article in Science:

    'When Oskar Stohr and Jack Yufe arrived in Minnesota to participate in
    University of Minnesota psychologist Thomas J. Bouchard, Jr.'s study of
    identical twins reared apart, they were both sporting blue double-breasted
    epauletted shirts, mustaches, and wire-rimmed glasses. Identical twins
    separated at birth, the two men in their late 40s, had met once before two
    decades earlier. Nonetheless Oskar, raised as a Catholic in Germany, and
    Jack, reared by his Jewish father in Trinidad, proved to have much in common
    in
    their tastes and personalities--including hasty tempers and idiosyncratic
    senses of humor (both enjoyed surprising people by sneezing in elevators).'

    And both flushed the toilet both before and after using it, kept rubber
    bands
    around their wrists, and dipped buttered toast in their coffee."~Steven
    Pinker, The Language Instinct, (New York: Harper/Perennial, 1994), p. 327
    **
    "Another pair of identical twins meeting for the first time discovered that
    they both used Vademecum toothpaste, Canoe shaving lotion, Vitalis hair
    sonic, and Lucky Strike cigarettes. After the meeting they sent each other
    identical birthday presents that crossed in the mail. One pair of women
    habitually wore seven rings. Another pair of men pointed out (correctly)
    that a wheel bearing in Bouchard's car needed replacing. And quantitative
    research corroborates the hundreds of anecdotes. Not only are very general
    traits like IQ, extroversions, and neuroticism partly heritable, but so are
    specific ones
    like degree of religious feeling, vocational interests, and opinions about
    the
    death penalty, disarmament, and computer music."~Steven Pinker, The Language
    Instinct, (New York: Harper/Perennial, 1994), p. 328

     "People find these discoveries arresting, even incredible. The discoveries
    cast doubt on the autonomous 'I' that we all feel hovering above our bodies,
    making choices as we proceed through life and affected only by our past and
    present environments....And despite what critics sometimes claim, the
    effects are not products of coincidence, fraud or subtle similarities int he
    family environments (such as adoption agencies striving to place identical
    twins in homes that both encourage walking into the ocean backwards)."
    Stephen Pinker, How the Mind Works," (New York: Norton, 1997), p. 20-21

    Even death seems programmed by our genes:

     "There is also evidence in favor of the genetic determination of longevity
    in humans. For example, studies with twins show that genetically identical
    twins on average die thirty-six months apart; their lifespans are very
    similar. By comparison, fraternal twins die seventy-five months apart, and
    randomly selected siblings have an average time between deaths of 106
    months. The closer two individuals are genetically, the closer their life
    spans." William R. Clark, Sex & the Origins of Death, (New York: Oxford
    University Press, 1996), p. 82

    > At least say, for heaven's sake, that it is YOUR interpretation
    > of the scriptures! Try this rephrasing:
    >
    > "To say that the future is not preprogrammed by
    > God goes against much of what I perceive the scripture indicates of God's
    > power."

    I will at least phrase things the way I prefer. There are many examples in
    the Bible of God's foreknowledge Acts 2:23 "This man was handed over to you
    by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked
    men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross."

    Seems like God knew before hand what would happen.

    Romans 8:29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the
    likeness of his Son..."
    Romans 11:2, "God did not reject his people, whome he foreknew"
    1 Peter 1:2 who have been chosen according tot he foreknowledge of God the
    FAther..."

    Ezekiel 26:14 said of Tyre:4I will make you a bare rock, and you will become
    a place to spread fishnets. You will never be rebuilt, for I the LORD have
    spoken, declares the Sovereign LORD.

    The place has still not been rebuilt since Alexander took it down.

    Seems to me that there must be some foreknowledge on God's part. And I will
    stand by the way I phrased it.

    > Burgy (who, quite obviously, does not agree with your original statement
    at
    > all)

    Yes but Burgy also didn't provide any data other than his opinion. Data from
    Scripture showing that God can't see the future would certainly support your
    contention. Otherwise, it is your opinion, which of course, you are entitled
    to.