Neanderthal article in Scientific American

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 16:43:01 EST

    The April 2000 issue of Scientific American has an interesting article on
    Neanderthals. It discusses evidence that Neanderthals bred with modern men
    and behaved in modern ways. Kate Wong writes a remarkably balanced and
    accurate account of the debate in anthropology over the last few years
    concerning the Neanderthal genetics, their behavior and the evidence for
    them interbreeding with modern humans. Of the latter, this article is the
    first place I have seen a picture of the Neanderthal/human hybrid child (p.
    103) which was discovered in Portugal last year of which I wrote about in
    the Sept 1999 PSCF (See News and Views, p. 145) A quick glance shows that
    the tibia is much much shorter than that found in modern humans. This is a
    Neandertal trait.

    Some of the items from the article:

    "He [Randall White] adds that if you look at the Near East around 90,000
    years ago, anatomically modern humans and Neandertals were both making
    Mousterian stone tools, which, though arguably less elaborate than
    Aurignacian tools, actually require a considerable amount of know-how. 'I
    cannot imagine that Neandertals were producing these kinds of
    technologically complex tools and passing that on from generation to
    generation without talking about it,' White declares 'I've seen a lot of
    people do this stuff, and I can't stand over somebody's shoulder and learn
    how to do it without a lot of verbal hints.' Thus, White and others do not
    buy the argument that moderns were somehow cognitively superior, especially
    if Neandertals' inferiority meant that they lacked language. Instead it
    seems that moderns invented a culture that relied more heavily on material
    symbols.
    "Researchers have also looked to Neandertal brain morphology for clues to
    their cognitive ability. According to Ralph L. Holloway of Colombian
    University, all the brain asymmetries that characterize modern humans are
    found in Neandertals. 'To be able to discriminate between the two,' he
    remarks, 'is, at the moment, impossible.'" Kate Wong, "Who Were the
    Neanderthals," Scientific American April 2000, p. 106

    Why did the Neanderthals go extinct? They didn't!

    "On the other hand, if Neandertals were an equally capable variant of our
    own species, as Smith and Wolpoff believe, long-term overlap of Neandertals
    and the new population moving into Europe would have left plenty of time for
    mingling, hence the mixed morphology that these scholars see in late
    Neandertals and early moderns in Europe. And if these groups were exchanging
    genes, they were probably exchanging cultural ideas, which might account for
    some of the similarity between, say, the Chatelperronian and the
    Aurignacian. Neandertals as entities disappeared, Wolpoff says, because they
    were outnumbered by the newcomers. Thousands of years of interbreeding
    between the small Neandertal population and the larger modern human
    population, he surmises, diluted the distinctive Neandertal features, which
    ultimately faded away.
    "'If we look at Australians a thousand years from now, we will see that the
    European features have predominated [over those of native Australians] by
    virtue of many more Europeans,' Wolpoff asserts. 'Not by virtue of better
    adaptation, not by virtue of different culture, not by virtue of anything
    except many more Europeans. And I really think that's what describes what we
    see in Europe--we see the predominance of more people.'" Kate Wong, "Who
    Were the Neanderthals," Scientific American April 2000, p. 107

    The article also supports one of the ideas I have mentioned on our
    list--that blond hair and blue eyes might be a Neanderthal trait. The
    article has a drawing of a Neanderthal woman looking in a mirror. Her hair
    is blond; her eyes are blue. What is the evidence that these are Neanderthal
    traits? Well, blond hair gives a person some protection against frostbite.
    Rensberger writes:

     "Recently, there has been some evidence that skin colors are linked to
    differences in the ability to avoid injury from the cold. Army researchers
    found that during the Korean War blacks were more susceptible to frostbite
    than were whites. Even among Norwegian soldiers in World War II, brunettes
    had a slightly higher incidence of frostbite than did blondes." ~ Boyce
    Rensberger, "Racial Odyssey," in Elvio Angeloni, Editor, Annual Editions
    Physical Anthropology 94/95,(Sluicedock,Guilford, Conn.: The Dushkin
    Publishing Group, Inc., 1994), p.40-45, p. 42

    Neanderthals lived in the coldest environments on earth. And blue eyes
    enable a person to see in dimmer /redder light, such as would have been the
    case in Glacial Europe.

    Secondly, the only place that blond hair and blue eyes are found is within
    the former range of the Neanderthal! Eskimos handle the cold via other
    means--having extra blood vessels in their feet.

    Thus, the Neanderthals are most likely us-- or those of European ancestry
    carry some of their genes with us.