Re: Polkinghorne books

From: Wayne Dawson (dawson@gray.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 04:00:34 EST

    Preston Garrison wrote:
    > Looking around at Amazon, I notice a recent book by John
    > Polkinghorne and John Hargreaves called "A Guide to Genesis." Has
    > anyone read this or know anything about it? Also, any
    > recommendations on Polkinghorne's "Belief in God in an Age of
    > Science?"

    I don't know about his most recent book, but I would recomend
    "Belief in God in an Age of Science". Polkinghorne was a particle
    physicist before becoming a theologian, and he tends to reason
    like a physicist. For example, he tries to explain *how* miracles
    might occur. You can decide for yourself if you agree or not, but
    frankly, I would like to see more Christians who carry the badge
    of science wrestling with that very issue.

    He keeps with a sound theology, and I think, if one at least accepts
    the premise that the apostles were honest (a rare consent these days
    in some camps), he puts forward an interesting argument for accepting
    the resurrection.

    cheers
    Wayne