more evidence for neandertal/human interbreeding

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 16:27:18 EST

    There is some more evidence of neanderthal human interbreeding.

    "We present the results of systematic comparisons and analysis of the adult
    male crania from the Mladec Caves in Moravia, Czech Republic, discovered
    between 1882 and 1922. Archaeological associations and the geological
    circumstances date these remains to the earlier Aurignacian of Central
    Europe. The Mladec male crania show a mixture of features, some resembling
    Neandertals and others resembling more recent Late Pleistocene Europeans.
    From a systematic analysis of these features, a hypothesis of ancestry is
    evaluated for the sample, as this addresses issues of the fate of the
    European Neandertals and the origin of recent Europeans. We compare a
    battery of anatomical features and metric traits found in the Mladec males
    with the males from two potentially ancestral samples, Skhul/Qafzeh and
    earlier European Neandertals. Most data were taken on the original
    specimens by the authors. Some features previously identified as Neandertal
    autapomorphies occur in the Mladec males, indicating genetic contributions
    of Neandertals to these groups (a finding we reconcile with the mtDNA
    recovered from the Feldhofer cave Neandertal). Yet, our analyses suggest
    that Neandertals are unlikely to be the unique ancestors of these early
    Europeans. We show that it is not possible to exclude either the
    Skhul/Qafzeh or the European Neandertal samples from the ancestry of the
    Mladec sample."

    Milford H. Wolpoff, David W. Frayer, Martin Oliva and Jan Jelínek "The
    Mladec males: Aurignacian crania from Moravia"

    Abstracts for the Paleoanthropology Society Meeting, The University of
    Pennsylvania Museum, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., April 4-5, 2000

    If they interbred with us, then they are us.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm