Re: [Fwd: Re: "Genesis Reconsidered"]

From: George Andrews (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 11:08:11 EST

    Hi Bert;

    You wrote:
    "What is the overwhelming evidence? The overwhelming evidence is
    for many complex features in biological organisms without the
    faintest suggestion by anyone as to how they might form gradually
    and saltationism begs for a creator."

    Your complaint continues to be that there is not the "faintest
    suggestion by anyone" as to how complex features in biological organisms
    might form. My informing you of information generation in
    far-from-equilibrium systems (turbulent and/or chaotic) - with the
    example of BZ (chemical) generated information from strange attractors
    pertinent to biology - was at least this.

    The philosophical center of complexity theory is not simply that
    randomness generates order as your responses and examples involving dice
    seem to indicate. It is the interplay between the laws of physics and
    chemistry (Glenn referred to these in his mention of DEQs), often
    described as "top-down", operating on the stochastic fluctuations (noise)
    of the individual elements comprising a system that selects certain
    events having a parameter or state space that resonates with the driving
    mechanisms in a self amplifying manner. This thus gives prominence to a
    set of individual fluctuations over the prevailing stochastic background.
    The physical laws (environment) select certain fluctuations (fittest
    mutation).

    This paradigm explains all of the patterns we observe in
    far-from-equilibrium systems found in nature, e.g. tornados, sand dune
    and rock formations, (the crystallization you mention is actually very
    low in complexity; but it does adhere to the above paradigm in the sense
    that upon reaching an energy threshold, order is suddenly generated from
    a previously chaotic state - random motion of the liquid ), fractal
    geometry (e.g. trees, shore lines, etc.) , pulsed lasers, Grand Canyons,
    .... It is therefore so much more than a few patterns arising from a
    random toss of the die as is your apparent understanding. In fact, as
    Stuart Kauffman puts it, (my paraphrase) because of the presently
    understood laws of nature (quantum mechanics), when a threshold is
    reached in a turbulent system, self organization predictable occurs;
    hence, the origin of life and the evolution of humans is not only
    possible but it is expected!

    While I agree that the detailed description of processes involved in
    biological mutation is demanding ( I leave you in the apparently
    competent hands of Tim Ikeda and others on this list serve), it is
    fallacious to suggest that since we don't have the mechanism required by
    the evolutionary paradigm, it is not possible for it to have occurred.

    As a matter of faith, it is an observational fact that our God has
    created a universe that self organizes. What stops a deistic charge is
    that Christian belief involves contingency and interaction via revelation
    and Holy Spirit - with the quintessential interjection of new information
    into natural process occurring in the manger of Bethlehem.

    Sincerely;

    George A.