Re: Rivers, Tigris/Euphrates and their courses

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 17:34:21 EST

    At 09:30 PM 3/4/00 -0500, Dick Fischer wrote:
    >Glen wrote:
    >>First, the abyssal Mediterranean was a plain. Second, not all understanding
    >>of the account can come from the Sumerians. Edin in Hebrew means pleasure.
    >>Which religion do you think is inspired--Sumerian or Hebrew?

    >>>That's a trick question. Hebrew is a language.

    No Dick Hebrew is an adjective modifying the implict word 'religion'. Which
    religion do you think is inspired the Sumerian religion or the Hebrew
    religion? There is no trick to it at all. You always seem to side with the
    Sumerians as far as I can tell.

     I wrote:
    >It is no more odd for the Tigris and Euphrates several million years ago to
    >have flowed at 90 degrees to their present courses than it was for the Nile
    >to have done so (it did you know) or for the Colorado River of the Grand
    >Canyon several million years ago to have flowed straight west and emptied
    >along the California coast rather than Baja as it does now. Consider this:
    >
    > "Upper Paleocene to Middle Miocene fluvial-deltaic rocks in the Los
    >Angeles and Ventura basins were deposited by a Colorado paleoriver prior to
    >300 km of dextral displacement on the San Andreas fault. During the late
    >Miocene, movement on the fault and associated rifting in the Salton trough
    >rerouted the paleoriver into the proto-Gulf of California." ~ Jeffrey L.
    >Howard, "Paleocene to Holocene Paleodeltas of Ancestral Colorado River
    >Offset by the San Andreas Fault System, Southern California," Geology,
    >24:9(Sept. 1996):783-786, p. 783
    >
    > And the Yellow River in the last 1000 years has altered its course to have
    >emptied south of Shan Dong Province and then back into the Bohai Bay.
    >Consider this for the Yellow River.
    >
    > "In the last 3,500 years, there have been 26 significant changes in
    the
    >Yellow River's course. BEtween 602 B.C.--the year of the first recorded
    >course change--and 1288, the river eptied into the sea between Tientsin and
    >the Shantung peninsula, although in osme floods the stream split into two
    >channels one on each side of the peninsula. Throughout those 19 centuries,
    >the location of its mouth varied by only about 100 miles. THen in 1288, ag
    >reat flood sent the Yellow charging across country, First it emptied into
    >the Huai, nearly 200 miles to the southeast, then carved a channel across
    >to the Yangtze and wound up emptying into the East China Sea almost 600
    >miles south of its original porition."
    > "During the next 567 years--a period of improvement in civil
    engineering
    >and of more or less stable government--the Chinese managed to keep a
    >relatively tight rein on their wild river. But in 1855, the Yellow tore
    >open the dike on its left bank at Tungwa Hsiang, about 30 miles east of
    >Kaifeng. During the next six years, while engineers tried repeatedly to
    >repair the shattered dikes, the uncontrolled river wandered northeastward
    >to the sea in many channels. Finally, in 1961, the river settled into its
    >present channel about 500 miles to the north of its 1288 course, emptying
    >into the Po Sea instead of the Yellow Sea." Champ Clark, _Flood_ Time Life
    >Books, 1982, p. 42

    Here is a good example where two people who only wish to glorify God, who
    give full weight to relevant data and evidence, and are dedicated to honest
    reporting, can view the same data and reach opposite conclusions. I have
    flown over the Mississippi river near New Orleans and have seen hundreds
    of water filled horseshoe-shaped lakes that were once channels of the
    mighty Mississippi as it changed course over millions of years. Glenn's
    point is that river courses can be altered over eons of geologic upheavals.
     He concludes that since we know of some rivers that have changed course,
    the Tigris and Euphrates also could have flowed in a different direction.

    But rivers leave tracks. We know rivers such as the Nile, Colorado, Yellow
    and
    Mississippi rivers have changed course because they left trails of water-worn
    pebbles, mud, mineral and salt deposits, and fossils of riverine creatures.
     And they carve out channels. Had the Tigris and Euphrates once flowed
    west instead of east and south as they do today, we could see the evidence
    of that. There is none. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I
    believe it is only reasonable to assume that they flowed in Bible times in
    the same general direction as they flow today, and joined then where they
    do today just before emptying into the Persian Gulf.

    I don't know where you get the idea that there is no evidence of it. In
    the early miocene times, prior to the desication of the Mediterranean,
    northern Iraq was lagoonal. Lagoonal carbonates were being deposited. You
    can't deposit carbonates if there is a big river sending sand and shale
    into the area. Clean carbonates require clear sediment free waters for
    deposition.I quote Beydoun,

    "A conglomerate is present in different parts of this regin of northern
    Iraq, between Oligocene and Miocene, and is followed by an important
    transgression which introduced Lower Miocene lagoonal carbonates
    (Euyphrates LImeston formation) along the shore of a wide gulf or sea-arm."
    Z. R. Beydoun, _The Middle East REgional Geology and Petroleum Resources_
    (Beaconsfield, Bucks,UK: Scientific Press, 1988), p. 99

    The term "Euphrates LImestone" is not because the deposition had anything
    to do with the river. It is that the limestone crops out along the river.
    Above this, still in the Lower Miocene, is an evaporitic unite. Beydoun again:

    "An evaporitic unit (Dhibban Anhydrite formation) follows the Euphrates
    limestone (as it also does in NE Syria) and heralds partial or temporary
    closure of the sea-arm. This was followed by further lagoonal carbonates on
    reopening (Lower Miocene Jerribe formation), which also extends into NE
    Syria."Z. R. Beydoun, _The Middle East REgional Geology and Petroleum
    Resources_ (Beaconsfield, Bucks,UK: Scientific Press, 1988), p. 99

    In the Upper Miocene, the time of the Mediterranean salinity crisis, the
    Zagros mountains of Iran began to rise. They produced a lot of clastics
    which were deposited over northern Iraq, FROM THE EAST, not from the
    Northwest as would indicate the existence of the two rivers. Beydoun again:

    "Rapidly-rising mountains in the northeast of Iraq as a result of the
    Zagros orogeny due to the collision and suturing of Arabia with Iran and
    Anatolia, produced large amounts of clastics, which were initially
    deposited in a marine environment in the northern part to form the Upper
    Miocene Upper FArs formation. A less clastic facies of limestones and
    siltstones (Middle Fars) was deposited in the southern area." Z. R.
    Beydoun, _The Middle East REgional Geology and Petroleum Resources_
    (Beaconsfield, Bucks,UK: Scientific Press, 1988), p. 99-100

    This means that in the Miocene, the two rivers were MISSING from Iraq.
    Where were they? I think you can find the tracks you are looking for in
    the Adana basin of Turkey which is right at the bend where the southern
    coast of Turkey turns south and the coast line then runs north-south along
    Syria, Lebanon and Israel. That bend is where the Adana Basin is to be
    found. If you recall the present Euphrates heads straight toward the Adana
    basin but turns to the SE about 100 miles from the present coastline. What
    is in the Adana basin?

    According to a chart in Robertson Research group's Stratigraphic Database
    of the World, one finds 800 meters (2600 feet) of sands with 20-25%
    porosity in the Upper Miocene Kusgun Formation. Such sands are what one
    finds at a river delta. Indeed such sands are deposited into that area
    until just after the beginning of the Lower Pliocene (which would be after
    the refill of the Mediterranean basin). It was during the lower Pliocene
    that the Dead sea uplift took place which then diverted the Tigris and
    Euphrates to their present course.

    This formation in the Adana basin is the appropriate deposit which appears
    at the correct place at the correct time for my scenario. Like it or not,
    the Tigris and Euphrates were NOT in Iraq during this time as is evidenced
    by the sedimentation that was taking place there.

    So before you claim that there is no evidence for the rivers being in the
    Mediterranean, you better go look to be sure that there isn't any. In this
    case you didn't look at the data you just made an assertion--which was
    wrong. There is indeed plenty of geologic evidence for what I say.

    I wrote:
    >Dick, you really need to incorporate more geology into your objections.

    Dick replied:
    >You're not saying that because you are a geologist, are you Glenn?

    No, but I am saying it because you are trying to talk about geology and it
    would help you if you would read a bit more of it.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm